Sringeri Jagadguru on Sandhyavandhanam
In several Anugraha Bhashanams, Sringeri Jagadguru emphasized the importance of doing Sandhyavandhanam.
A rough translation below:
- “People say they don’t have any time to do Sandhyavandhanam. But they have time to watch TV, read newspaper and engage in gossip. So to say that there is not enough time for Sandhyavandhanam is wrong.
- The Shastras prescribe two pakshas: Mukya Paksham and GowNa Paksham
- To do 1008 Gayatri Japam is Mukya Paksham. People used to do this for 3 kaalas in the olden days.
- If there is not sufficient time, then the Shastras prescribe GowNa Paksham of doing 108 Gayatri Japam.
- If there is further little time, then the Shastras prescribe doing at least 32 Gayatri Japam.
- But people usually ask for an alternative and a way to leave Sandhyavandhanam. For that, there is no other alternative.
- For a person who has had Upanayanam and Brahmopadesham (according to Shastras), he has to do Sandhyavandhanam till the end.
- If he says he can’t do or has no time to do, it will become a grave mistake.
- The reality is people don’t have the will to do Sandhyavandhanam and hence give various reasons.
- In Kannada, there is an old saying: “Where there is will, there is way.” (Manasu irindal margam irukum)
- What one needs is real Shraddha to do Sandhyavandhanam and not other reasons.”
Links of Sringeri Jagadguru’s Anugraha Bhashanam on Sandhyavandhanam:
Source of this article: Sringeri Videos page in Facebook
More articles about Sandhyavandanam from Kanchi Mahaswami and others can be found here